Monday, January 24, 2011

Exclusive Interview - Hedflux




That's right everybody, Kicking things off this week, we have an Exclusive interview from the Psy-Breaks mastermind known as Hedflux. With a slew of top tracks under his belt, including his top selling premier release "Music is My Weapon", Hedflux AKA Steve Young, has established himself as one of the world's heavyweights in Breakbeats with a fresh and distinctive flavor of Tech-Funk business. Carving out a unique sound between the Psychedelic and Breakbeat genres, the UK native has lined up alongside many of the artists that have inspired him the most. From Shpongle to Elite Force, Eat Static and Far Too Loud, the list goes on and with a steady gig schedule ahead, with sets at major festivals and more; it's only going to continue to grow. Taking pride in his work and being a disciplined master has allowed Steve to achieve this success and the rewards continue to manifest in abundance. With the recent release of his new stompers "Revolve" & "Rhythm Prism", Hedflux is continuing to show his dominance! "Revolve" is currently sitting at #1 on the Beatport Top 100 Breaks and "Rhythm Prism" is not far behind holding down the #7 spot. We were able to catch up with Hedflux amidst his busy schedule and he was kind enough to take the time and answer the Kick It 12. Take a few moments and find out a bit of what has brought him to this point and what the future will hold for Hedflux. Don't forget to check out the links at the bottom for loads of good stuff!


The Kick It 12 - Hedflux Edition

1. – At what age did you first find yourself gravitating towards electronic music and who were some of the artists outside of Electronic music that influenced that?
Growing up in the 80s, I was exposed to a lot of the same electro pop as everyone else, but I definitely felt a particular pull towards inorganic, robotic and futuristic sounds. When I got my first taste of rave music from early “mega mixes” such as Hit the Decks, SL2, Krome & Time etc, I was hooked, and from then on I became an active seeker of electronic music.

2. – What was your very first Album? How about CD?
Michael Jackson – Thriller. I was one of the 100 million who bought it. For CD I’d be guessing to be honest, but I think Pink Floyd – Wish you were here.

3. – How did you first get involved with the Electronic music culture and what was the first event that you attended?
I started out at the age of about 14 or 15, DJing at under 16’s club events, but my first major event was a concert in Glasgow by The Shaman, shortly followed by the huge Rezerection raves in Ingliston, hearing people like Grooverider, Rat Pack, Scott Brown, Bass Generator etc.

4. – Where was your favorite gig that you have had to date?
Hard to say, but Pistolero in Zagreb in January 2010 was particularly good. It was hot, sweaty, dark, and packed tight, the atmosphere was buzzing for the whole 3 hours I played, and the sound was fatt! I’m back there in 2011 too.

5. - Who have you been most proud to play alongside?
Again, its hard to pick one. It’s been amazing to be on line ups with loads of my favourite acts in both the breaks and psytrance scenes. The iBreaks festival in Spain alongside Elite Force, BSD, NAPT, Pyramid, Specimen A, Digital Base and more, was a lineup I was particularly proud of.

6. - Where would you most like to play that you have not yet?
Boom festival in Portugal. I’m praying for a gig in 2012!

7. - What is your favorite tune you have released?
Revolve.

8. - Who is your favorite EDM artist? How about outside of EDM?
Well, a few artists who really expanded my concept of what is possible with EDM, and continue to have a magical impact on my ears today, are Bluetech, Trentemoller and Shpongle. Outside of EDM, Pink Floyd!

9. - Who are some artists you would like to collaborate with in the future?
I’d like to finish the projects I’ve started recently with LuQas and Neurodriver, and hope to collaborate soon with Bad Tango and Mood Deluxe.

10. - What is your preferred software for producing? Hardware?
Ableton Live 8 on PC. I recently got an SSL G-Series Compressor which has introduced the analogue dimension to my set up, and it’s my new favourite bit of hardware!

11. - What life lessons has the music industry taught you?
Learn to find the lesson in every experience.

12. – What does the future hold for Hedflux?
More touring and collaboration in the short term, and an album in the long term – after that who knows?

 
Hedflux - Revolve [TASTER] by Hedflux
 
Hedflux's Website - http://www.hedflux.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment