Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Exclusive Free Tune & Interview - Wavewhore



Happy Tuesday everyone. Crikey it's cold here in New England but when the Pats run a train on the Jets demolishing them 45 to 3 in one of the biggest games of the season, leaving us with the best record in the NFL, I'll take a little chilly weather to go with it! We've got some more Exclusive action popping off today and this time we are talking about NYC's own Wavewhore. I have been a fan of Wavewhore's tunes for quite some time now and I have also been lucky enough to play alongside him a time or two over the years as well. One of the US' premier Breaks producers, Wavewhore has been one of the few from the states to establish himself on the worldwide Breakbeat scene. He has pumped out some top tunas like one of my all time personal favorites "Funk Pill" Ft. Bex Riley which was released on Broke Recordings. Other top tunes include "This is How it Should Be Done" and his remix of "Assembled" on BombTraxx. Wavewhore has had radio shows on Breaks FM and Sirius Satellite Radio as well as having had appearances on the BBC's Radio 1 and Kiss FM, both out of London. Having begun his career as a guitarist playing in Heavy Metal bands while he was still in High School, Wavewhore had his earliest electronic release back in 1992! Having garnered support from many top level producers like Aquasky, The Freestylers, General Midi and more, he continues to be one of the dominating forces in US Breaks. Not only do we have an Exclusive interview with Wavewhore for you, but we also have an Exclusive edit from him as well.  Putting his touch on The Prodigy's "Omen" it starts off with a mixable intro with looped vocals and some live sounding drums then breaking on the classic riff briefly before slamming back in with the wicked drums and main business. Pick it up for yourself for free and check out what Wavewhore had to say to Kick It, he gets two points for the best answer to question #6 so far!

The Kick It Twelve - Wavewhore Edition

1. – At what age did you first find yourself gravitating towards electronic music and who were some of the artists outside of Electronic music that influenced that?
When I was in high school, I was playing guitar in heavy metal bands but at the same time listening to a lot of dancehall reggae artists such as Smiley Culture, Shinehead and Yelloman. While switching through radio stations, I heard KRS-One rhyming over tougher beats on “The Bridge Is Over” and I was immediately hooked on that highly processed sound. So early hip-hop got me into thinking about beats, which me lead to dance music, drum’n’bass and then onto breaks when the Chemical Brothers came out with Exit Planet Dust.

2. – What was your very first Album? How about CD?
The very first few cassette tape albums given to me by my parents were probably Elvis and Abba but I think the first vinyl album I bought was a Motorhead live album titled “No Sleep ‘til Hammersmith”.

3. – How did you first get involved with the Electronic music culture and what was the first event that you attended?
I was always going out to clubs in New York City like Palladium, Limelight and Twilo and remember going to see Sasha & Digweed a lot when they first started their residency at Twilo in the late 90’s.

4. – Where was your favorite gig that you have had to date?
It’s hard to say because they are all memorable in some way but some of the shows I played in the South of Spain stand out just because of the magnitude of the scene over there and their love for breaks.

5. - Who have you been most proud to play alongside?
Recently, I played alongside KRS-One in New York City at the Red Bull BC One afterparty and that was cool. I went on right after him and we had to coordinate the hand-off…. talk about things coming full circle!

6. - Where would you most like to play that you have not yet?
The Playboy Mansion…

7. - What is your favorite tune you have released?
My favorite release so far is the Bass Pressure remix that I did for the BreaksFM label. I re-wrote the bassline with my own music and sounds but incorporated the darker feel of Rektchordz’ original by working in the same musical scale.

8. - Who is your favorite EDM artist? How about outside of EDM?
It’s really hard to have a single favorite because there are so many talented players out there but in the breakbeat genre, I would rate General Midi among the top producers. More recently, I have really been impressed with Deadmau5 and Wolfgang Gartner on the 4/4 scene and High Rankin in the dubstep world. Way back in the day though, I used to listen to a lot of AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix, Judas Priest, Metallica etc. but it’s been a while.

9. - Who are some artists you would like to collaborate with in the future?
I’d like to get more vocalists, singers and MC’s involved on my tunes. Also, Specimen A and I started a heavy breaks tune ages ago and it still sounds fresh, even after all these years… and we keep talking about finishing it off, but we just need to find the time.

10. - What is your preferred software for producing? Hardware?
I use Logic and run a bunch of soft synths such as Albino and Vanguard on a G5. Recently I’ve got a Mac Pro and will be migrating to Logic 9 so I need to get some new software but I’ve got Massive now. I also have some hardware such as a Virus and a Roland XP-30 synth.

11. - What life lessons has the music industry taught you?
It’s really a good idea to reach out to people and absorb as much as you can. Being successful in music is really about having a clear understanding of what you want to bring to the table as an artist and what is marketable and then bridging that gap.

12. – What does the future hold for Wavewhore?
On the release front, I’ve got some breaks remixes (a vocal and a dub) forthcoming on Cereal Killaz’ Scrape Recordings imprint which are scheduled for early 2011. The original tune is called “Confide In Me” and it’s by a UK artist named Divine Icons. In addition, I’ve got some original breaks tracks in the works and also a remix of a Farace & Trevor Rockwell song for your Kick It label on the way. I will also be stepping out into the dubstep and electro house genres too in the near future so keep it locked!




The Prodigy - Omen - Wavewhore's Breaks Edit by The Kick It Blog 


Wavewhore's Website - http://www.wavewhore.com/

Wavewhore on MySpace - www.myspace.com/wavewhore

Wavewhore on Facebook - www.facebook.com/wavebreaks

No comments:

Post a Comment